Selected Poems from Nick Joaquin

Here are selected poems from my favorite author and National Artist, Nick Joaquin: 
 

The Martyr 

 

 Being in love means never having to say you’re sorry
After all, at some point in your life
That love was the most important thing to you,
That love might be the one that you hoped would last forever,
That love made you believe that destiny does exist,
And that love made you question,
Why you were afraid to fall in love in the first place.
At that time in your life,
Everything just seemed so perfect,
Everything seemed so beautiful,
Everything seemed to glow for you,
And you were my everything.
I wouldn't even think twice about sacrificing
my own happiness for yours,
I was even willing to bare up this walled but crumpled heart of mine,
Just so I could be with you.
All I ever did was care for you.
All I ever did was to make you happy.
And all I ever did was love you.
Being in love means never having to say you’re sorry
But I needed to ask forgiveness from the one who was hurt the most… Myself.

 

Happy Never After 

 

How could I possibly stay awake
Despite knowing what horrors await me In this life full of lies and despair
Where the only hope that remains Is having you near me.

And yet,
However I push myself towards you,
The more I feel like we’re never meant to be,
The more we try to reach each other,
The more I feel so alone.
How could I possibly live my happily ever after
Without you by my side


Where even the fairy tales pale in comparison
for how much I feel for you
When will He finish this chapter?
Does it even end
Surely, any end is better than a one left hanging
For a simple No, might simply be the best answer
Rather than to face the agony of waiting
and fear of the unknown.


Strangers at First Sight 

 

How could you possibly start from nothing?
And then end up as everything?
I never thought I’d feel this way again…
More like I pushed myself to never fall victim again
To this arresting feeling
How ironic is it, That what I wanted to lose the most,
Is what most people long for their whole life
I don’t know what to do,
Guess I’ll just ignore everything again,
Time to shut my senses to all the assaults that the world has to offer…
After all, I’ve suppressed everything so far
What’s one more to add?

8 comments:

  1. From what book was the poem, The Martyr taken from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Uriel. Thanks for the visit! Nick Joaquin is one of my fave Phil lit authors Well I got the copy of the poem, The Martyr from one of the handouts i had back in college. but you can try the book, "prose and poems" by nick joaquin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can someone pls give me they reflection on the poem stranger at first sight.pls

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the reason why he wrote the poem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is the persona in the poem the martyr?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can someone give me the reflectiom of strangers at first sight

    ReplyDelete
  7. Microcen IT Professional team have expertise in enterprise infrastructure security, design & deployment. We have best team in the industry to lead your security projects and infrastructure design & deployment.

    ReplyDelete